Staying Stress-Free during Finals

Don’t stress! Do your best! Forget the rest!

Ah, the stress of finals week. The no sleep, forgetting to eat, head pounding, countless hours staring at a computer screen or book trying to cram absolutely ever possible little bit of information in your head that you possibly can! Sounds like so much fun doesn’t it? Well, if it does, you’re about to have the best week of your life here soon as finals week is coming upon us.

For the rest of us, who dread the trying week that finals week is, wouldn’t it be nice to find some ways to de-stress, or stay stress-free throughout it all? Well, I did some research to try to find some ideal, easy ways to stay more stress-free throughout the most stressful week of the semester.

1. Get enough sleep!
    • Why is it that during finals week, student’s think it’s totally healthy to spend 24 hours staring at a book or computer screen to cram all the information that they can? Obviously, studying is important to make sure you know all the material before this big test so you don’t bomb your grade. Calm down, you’re going to do fine. If you want to make sure that you will do the best you possibly can, you have to get some rest. Getting enough sleep is one of the key steps to make sure you do the best you can and it will help you give all of your concentration to the big test. Don’t over think it, get some sleep.
  2. Get organized!
    • One of the easiest ways to start the de-stressing process is to get organized. Make sure you know when and where all your finals are and if you can, have an idea of what could be on them! There is no need studying something that is not going to be on the test! Also, then you know what finals you need to study for and when! Get organized and you will more than likely be able to breathe easier.
  3. Use all of the resources!
    • Every school offers different things, whether it is resources to use to study or things to help you stay stress-free, ALWAYS USE THEM! Taking advantage of having all of these things will really help you succeed and stay calm during the overwhelming feeling of finals week. Here at Culver-Stockton, there are late night meals, lots of places on campus to study, a day that dogs are brought to the school (seriously take full advantage of this day- its the best!) to help you de-stress, and lots more. Don’t forget to use all the resources that your professor and school give you, it will make your life so much easier.
  4. Treat yourself!
    • You see that donut, you think you shouldn’t get the donut because you have been trying to cut back on sweets. You have been working so hard though, studying for finals, and being prepared for the tests… get the donut! You need to reward yourself for how hard you have been working. Everyone deserves a treat every now and then, so go get your donut!
  5. Don’t overthink/ overdo it!
    • We’re all guilty of it. We all overthink our answers or think if we just study one more hour we will do even better. Your life during finals week will be so much better if you try not to overdo/ overthink it all. Trust yourself, believe in yourself, and you’ll be okay.

If you follow these simple steps to trying to stay stress-free, finals week will fly by and be smooth sailing. I can’t promise you an A on every test, but I can promise that your week of big tests won’t be near as frightful as everyone makes it out to be. Take the advice of a college senior, I have seen it all and experienced it all. You’ll be okay, just take a breath and do your best.

Also, back by popular demand, Culver-Stockton is hosting the Paws for Stress on Reading Day.  The Quincy Humane Society will bring some pups to the Meaders Lounge from 11a.m. – 1p.m. on November 13, 2018.  The College is looking at the possibility of adding another day at the end of the three week or midterms because students report how much they get from this event. If you have a dog that is REALLY GREAT with other dogs and up on all vaccines, and would like your pup to be part of this outing, contact Susan Moon, C-SC Director of Counseling and Awareness.

Or a cat. Cats are loved and some don’t mind dogs running around.

If you would like to talk to someone about the stress of finals, you can contact Susan Moon by email, smoon@culver.edu or go to her office in Student Life in the Gladys Crown Center.