No-Shave November at C-SC

Why are students seeing werewolves everywhere?

Back to Article
Back to Article

No-Shave November at C-SC

Lindsey Miller

Students at Culver-Stockton College might notice that many people seem to be growing out facial and body hair this month. We have entered November, a month seemingly made for celebrating all things hairy. Whether you know it as No-Shave November or “Movember”, most people have at least heard of the strange behavior associated with this time of the year. But where did this cult phenomenon originate, who participates in it, and just what is the purpose of spending an entire month away from the razor?

Strangely enough, the tradition of spending the month growing out body hair seems to have two very different origins, yet they both support similar causes. In 2003, Movember gained popularity in Australia. This movement, according to ABC News, was created in order to raise awareness of men’s health issues, particularly prostate and testicular cancers. This movement involves men spending the month growing out a mustache. The goal is to inspire discussion and conversation, hopefully spreading awareness of men’s health. In 2014, the American branch of this movement expanded its purpose to include more than cancers, stating a goal to raise men’s mental health awareness as well.

Embrace your hair… Let it grow wild and free!”

— No-shave.org

No-Shave November, on the other hand, was created by a completely different organization and for a slightly different reason. According to the official No-Shave November website, “the goal of No-Shave November is to grow awareness by embracing our hair, which many cancer patients lose, and letting it grow wild and free”. The website, created by the Matthew Hill Foundation, goes on to encourage individuals that choose to participate to donate the money they otherwise would have spent on shaving equipment to a charity that promotes cancer awareness or a cancer research program. The backstory of No-Shave November is summarized on the homepage: “No-Shave November has been a tradition for many years, but it wasn’t until the fall of 2009 that members of the Chicagoland Hill family decided to use it as a means to raise money for charity. It was a project that held special meaning to the eight Hill children after their father, Matthew Hill, passed away from colon cancer in November 2007.”

No-Shave November is a bit more inclusive, as it encourages both men and women to participate. The organization’s website goes on to state that it appreciates any form of support, and encourages people who aren’t quite ready to stop shaving to support friends who are participating. The website has a spot for people to register to participate, as well as an option to donate. Just talking about it, whether in person or on social media, can help spread the word and encourage awareness. Whether you’re choosing to grow out a mustache, grow out everything, or just to simply talk about it, sharing on social media shows that you support the fight for an end to cancer.

When asked whether he was participating in No-Shave November, one Culver-Stockton student, Kyle Edwards, responded by saying “I wish that I could participate in No Shave November but I have to look professional, and I know my facial hair is not developed enough for it to look good”. He ended with a hopeful note, however, adding “One day though, one day”.

It turns out going au naturel can help support a good cause. Whether you celebrate Movember or No-Shave November, getting hairy at C-SC shows that students, and faculty, care. Here’s to Wildcats going truly wild for cancer awareness!