Wildcat Wire

National Girls & Women in Sports Day

February 6, 2019 marks 33 years of NGWSD.

Hailey Frutiger, Writer

February 6th marked a national day for all female athletes: the National Girls & Women in Sports day. To many, this may not seem like a big deal or not worth celebrating.  For female athletes, however, it is much more than just a hashtag that pops up on your Twitter feed. It is a celebration of women being able to compete as athletes, be advocates for other women, and to honor hard work and talent.

Many professional athletes spoke out in honor of the occasion. For example, 2-time Olympian runner Kara Goucher said, “Participating in sports, particularly running, have made me who I am today… Give girls the chance to play sports, and watch them change the world”.  

To the last generation: thank you for paving the way. To the next generation: we promise to leave it better than we found it. ”

— Haylie McCleney, Professional Softball Player

Though this day is not recognized by many main stream media outlets, many college programs promoted it; from Virginia Tech to Purdue to the University of Florida. This should be celebrated as a movement for all future and past female athletes.

We should be proud here on the Hill with the new lacrosse team coming and our athletes, as well as coaches, being honored on the national and collegiate level. Keep leading the way.

About the Writer
Hailey Frutiger, Staff Writer

Hailey Frutiger is a freshman here at Culver-Stockton. She plays softball and is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority. She is from the small town...