Diversi-T.E.A.M. – Newly Formed LGBT+ Student Organization Convenes

LGBTQIA+ Student Group Sets Out to Make Culver a Friendlier, More Well-Informed Place

Quentin Wells

The President and Vice-President of Diversi-T.E.A.M.

Following final approval by C-SC Director of Student Engagement Bill Boxdorfer, in early Septermber the Diversi-T.E.A.M. student organization has begun to meet bi-weekly, beginning with Thursday, September. 12,on the 26th, and is projected to continue on a path that would place them on the 10th and 24th of October, and so on at 11:45 in their regular space at the Carl Johann Memorial Library.

Formed to create a space for LGBTQIA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual, etc.) people and allies on campus, the group intends to create a supportive environment and to help to educate the public.  The organization’s president, Kyle Edwards called the meeting to order, with a stated agenda of creating an atmosphere of diversity and acceptance, and to create a consensus for the group’s intent and activities among the ten or so attendees of the initial meeting. The group discussed a number of topics relating to the LGBT+ community, coming away with a resolution to create a place where it would be safe for attendees to open up and speak about their feelings and experiences with the community and their own gender and sexuality, and for people who want to learn about the community to come and ask questions and receive the same supportive and inclusive treatment as anyone else.

Edwards specifically emphasized that everyone is welcome to attend meetings. Edwards stated, “Diversi-T.E.A.M. is not pushing for any agenda, but rather equity, fair and equal treatment, create community and raise awareness of discrimination.” The group has been meeting every second week, so far having met on

Boxdorfer stated that having Diversi-T.E.A.M. on campus is a great thing, as new student organizations give students new areas to be involved.  He wants students to feel represented, included, and to have programs and organizations that they feel passionate about, and can seek involvement in. Involvement, he stated, “Has been proven to be a great enhancing tool of skills outside of the classroom.” and that he hopes for the formation of more student organizations.

The group holds an expectation of confidentiality among its attendees.  Being a safe space where people may open up and speak about personal matters, people should be expected not to share stories or details without expressed permission. Edwards specifically stated that attendees are welcome to “word-vomit”, allow themselves to talk about the stories and feelings that they need to, in their own voice. Attendees are expected to be respectful and sensitive to the emotions of others, as the meetings are held for the specific purpose of creating a friendly environment, where people can open up and become more comfortable with themselves and Culver’s campus as a whole.

Edwards with a sign announcing the first meeting of the Diversi-T.E.A.M.

Diversi-T.E.A.M. represents a continuation of Kyle Edwards’ history of activism on behalf of the LGBT+ community, having been a co-founder of a similar organization at his High School. Taking a community-minded approach, he spoke about the group not being a “Kyle Edwards organization”, but an organization for the students, where every member has a voice. The attendees agreed that LGBT+ people on campus often feel isolated, and afraid to express themselves, necessitating a more formal and regular group than the sporadic events in support of LGBT+ people that have taken place in past years. Diversi-T.E.A.M. is advised by Alissa Burger. For inquiries related to the group, or updates on meeting schedules, reach out to Kyle Edwards or Alissa Burger.

[This text has been altered from the original release to include the now-established meeting dates, and a more accurate headline to reflect the timeliness of the information.]