Professor Profile: Dr. Alissa Burger

A Chat With A Gem in the English Department

Here at Culver-Stockton College, there are many wonderful individuals that get to teach the students here. The majority of students see them as professors, but we know so little about them. To break down that barrier, this will be the first of a series of profiles about professors and/or faculty that help students in their day-to-day school life.

The first victim, I mean, professor, is Dr. Alissa Burger.

Wildcat Wire: What is your job title?

Dr. Burger: Assistant Professor of English, Director of Retention, and Director of Writing Across the Curriculum

WW: When is your birthday?

Dr. Burger: May

(So mysterious!)

WW: What is your favorite season?

Dr. Burger: I love fall: the temperature, the leaves, the smells, the food, the football, Halloween. It’s the best.

WW: Who is your favorite author of all time?

Dr. Burger: Stephen King

WW: Do you have a favorite movie? TV show?

Dr. Burger: Movies: IT, Chapters 1 & 2, and British Christmas movie called Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger in which David Tennant plays his own evil twin. For TV, I love Castle Rock and Bob’s Burgers

WW: What is your dream vacation?

Dr. Burger: I love being near the water – I love to scuba dive and want to learn to surf. I’m also planning a trip to Dublin next summer for the International Gothic Association conference, which I’m really looking forward to.

WW: What are your hobbies?

Dr. Burger: Reading – I AM an English nerd. Also board games and puzzles.

WW: If you weren’t teaching what would you be doing?

Dr. Burger: I have no idea. Maybe a librarian or working in an independent bookstore or combo coffee shop/bookstore. Maybe publishing. Something with books.

WW: What sort of collections do you have? (Books, movies, troll figurines, etc.)

Dr. Burger: LOTS of books. My husband and I also have a whole collection of Smurf glasses from the early ‘80s that we spent years finding in secondhand stores and garage sales.

WW: Lastly, what piece of advice has stuck with you?

Dr. Burger: Just be you.