Sports Digest February 26-28

Here’s the latest in Wildcat sports, courtesy of John Schild and the C-SC Sport Information Department.  For complete information, visit cscwildcats.com

The Culver-Stockton College baseball team scored 30 runs in sweeping a doubleheader from Bethany College and earning its first two victories of the season Sunday afternoon at Anderson Field in Lindborg, Kan.

The Wildcats banged out 10 hits in a 15-9 victory in the opening game before recording 14 hits in a 15-13 victory in the nightcap. C-SC hit four home runs, two in each game, including a grand slam from Dax Flowerree in the opening inning of the first game to give the Wildcats a 5-0 lead.

Flowerree also homered in game two for his only two hits in the twinbill. He drove in seven runs and scored six times.

Casey Downs added five hits, including a home run, and five RBI in the two games, while Caleb Antonacci registered five hits with a double, home run and four runs batted in. Antonacci also scored three runs.

In addition, Josh Quick collected three hits and two runs batted in, Ronald Applewhite and Douglas Barker had two hits and two RBI, and German Sepulveda had three hits. Applewhite also drew four walks in the twinbill, scoring five times.

On the mound, Keiichi Kataoka relieved AJ Seward in the second inning of game one and pitched 5 1/3 innings to earn his first victory. Kataoka allowed five hits, struck out three and didn’t walk a batter.

In game two, the Wildcats used four pitchers with Hunter Zimmerly earning the victory while Stefan Stockwell picked up the save. Stockwell hurled the final two innings, striking out six.

The Wildcats (2-6) are scheduled to play their home opener next Saturday and Sunday, March 6-7, against the University of Jamestown at Nichols Field. Doubleheaders each day are slated to start at 12 p.m.

The Culver-Stockton College women’s lacrosse team registered the most goals in the short history of the program in a 21-10 loss to Marian University at St. Vincent Field in Indianapolis, Ind., Sunday afternoon.

The 10 goals scored surpassed the previous high of four goals the Wildcats scored against the University of Dallas in the team’s inaugural 2020 season, and just one short of the entire goal total (11) in five games of the inaugural season.

Sophomore transfer Melanie Sanchez recorded five of the goals for the Wildcats, garnering two goals in the final seven minutes of the first half to bring the Wildcats to within 11-4 at the intermission. Sanchez had seven shots overall with six shots on goal.

Freshman Jami Bull scored the Wildcats’ first goal of the season in the eighth minute of the first half, and sophomore Erin Bodine added the second goal in the 16th minute of the opening half before Sanchez went to work late in the opening 30 minutes.

In addition to Sanchez’s three scores in the second half, freshman McKayla Nevarez added two goals in the period, and sophomore transfer Sopheea Vomund added her first goal of the year. Vomund and Nevarez also added on assist in the match.

C-SC was outshot 36-20 by the Knights, who were playing their first game of the season. The Wildcats put 17 shots on goal while the Knights had 32 shots on goal. C-SC cleared its defensive zone 12 times on 17 attempts, while Marian was successful 11 times on 17 attempts.

The Knights also held a 25-23 advantage on groundballs and won the draw control 19 times on 32 attempts. Vomund and Julieta Hernandez each won a draw control five times. Bodine picked up five ground balls while Nevarez had four ground balls.

C-SC (0-2) gets little time to rest as the Wildcats are scheduled to play Asbury University Monday night, March 1 in Lexington, Ky. The match will be played at Transylvania University and is slated to begin at 8 p.m. (EST).

The Culver-Stockton College baseball team began a four-game series with Bethany College by dropping a pair of games Saturday afternoon at Anderson Field in Lindsborg, Kan.

The Wildcats led 2-0 in the sixth inning of game one before a four-run sixth inning by the Swedes led to a 4-2 loss. In the nightcap, C-SC was limited to four hits in a 7-0 loss. The shutout loss was the first time the Wildcats had been blanked this season.

In the opener, C-SC’s Jordan Isham and Bethany’s Manuel Rodriguez were locked in a scoreless pitching duel when the Wildcats finally broke through for one run in the fifth inning and one more tally in the sixth inning.

In the fifth inning, Casey Downs opened the inning with a double down the left field line. After Douglas Barker struck out, Cody Dennis followed with a bloop double down the just inside the left field foul line. Bowin Davisson, courtesy runner for Downs, had to hold up to make sure the ball dropped in and he advanced to third to put runners at second and third.

Josh Quick struck out for the second out of the inning, but Alejandro Cardinale delivered a two-out single to right to score Davisson for the first run of the game. Dennis was thrown out at the plate on the play to end the inning.

C-SC added an insurance run in the sixth inning when Cole Hansel led off the frame with a single and scored on a double by German Sepulveda.

Isham, who allowed just two hits through the first five innings, ran into trouble in the bottom of the sixth inning.

Isham hit the first batter of the inning and then, after a fielder’s choice produced the first out, walked and hit another batter to load the bases. Bethany’s Noel Perez made Isham pay when he lined a 2-2 pitch over the left field fence for a grand slam.

The Wildcats tried to answer in the top of the seventh, stringing together a pair of singles by Dennis and Quick put the tying runs on with one out. After a strikeout produced the second out, Dennis and Quick pulled off a double steal to put both runners in scoring position; however, Hansel grounded out to end the game.

In game two, the Swedes plated a run in the second and four more in the fifth inning off of C-SC starter Daniel Hargrave to build a 5-0 lead after five complete. Bethany added two more runs off reliever Stefan Stockwell in the sixth inning to account for the final score.

C-SC registered just four hits in game two, all singles, while striking out 12 times against two Swede pitchers.

Cardinale collected four hits in the doubleheader, two in each game, to lead the offense. Dennis added two hits in the opener.

Isham walked two, struck out four and allowed three hits in suffering his second straight loss. Hargrave scattered six hits, walked three and punched out seven batters in five innings of work in the nightcap.

The Wildcats and Swedes are scheduled to conclude the four-game series Sunday afternoon, Feb. 28, with another doubleheader in Lindsborg. The first game is slated to start at 12 p.m.