Staying Positive as the Semester Ends

Susan+Moon

photo courtesy C-SC

Susan Moon, Director of Counseling & Wellness

“Despite the stress, it is important to stay positive. Take it one day at a time, sometimes just an afternoon or an evening at a time.”

— Susan Moon

As the 12-week term comes to a close at Culver-Stockton College, students are feeling the stress of turning in assignments, getting things together for Thanksgiving break, and preparing to go home and see families. Staying on top of mental and physical health can be challenging, but they are equally as important as staying on top of assignments and other busying things in schedules.

Susan Moon, Director of Counseling and Wellness at C-SC, advises students to “…try and get eight hours of sleep, limit or eliminate alcohol and drugs, and eat well,”  “…pay attention to your body and how it feels.”  The Culver-Stockton Health & Wellness Center is a great place to get some exercise and stay active during finals. The city of Canton is also an option to do activities for students who want to stay close to the college.

“Feelings get overwhelming for everybody and even more so with the end of the semester–that is usually the most stressful time of the year for a student.”

— Susan Moon

WildcatWire asked Susan Moon to give students some helpful tips and tricks for getting through tough times and staying positive:

“Take some slow, deep breaths–five to ten of them; taking breaks where your mind is still working (social media) isn’t helping; put your phone on silent or do not disturb while studying; and plan breaks into your day to indulge in social media, rather than incorporating them into your study time.”

If you need additional help or support:

• contact Susan Moon at smoon@culver.edu; (573) 288-6441
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-900-273-TALK (8255)