Sports Digest December 5-7

Here is the latest Wildcat sports summary, courtesy of the C-SC Sports Information Deparment and SID John Schild.  For more information, visit cscwildcats.com.

Culver-Stockton College women’s soccer forward Montse Caparros earned a spot on the 2021 CoSIDA Academic All-America® Second Team, the organization announced on Tuesday

Caparros, who owns a 3.95 GPA while studying business administration, has been a major asset for the Wildcats on and off the field. The Barcelona, Spain native played in 19 games this past season, tying for team honors for the most goals with 10, which was tied for fourth highest in the Heart of America Athletic Conference. She also added two assists for 22 points this season, which was 10th in the Heart for total points. For her work in the classroom, Caparros has been named to the school’s President’s List three times, the Dean’s List two times and the Honor Roll once as well as being named a Daktronics-NAIA Scholar-Athlete for the 2019-20 school year.

Culver-Stockton ended the 2021 campaign with a 13-4-2 overall record and finished fourth in the Heart of America Athletic Conference with an 8-3-1 mark.

Caparros is the second women’s soccer player and the 13th Culver-Stockton student-athlete to earn Academic All-America® status. Goalkeeper Kehley Bitzas was named to the second team in 2019.

The senior forward is the only Heart of America Athletic Conference player listed on this year’s Academic All-America® team. William Carey’s Ana Paula Santos earned the NAIA Women’s Soccer Academic All-America Team Member of the Year.

Of the 22 members on the Academic All-America® NAIA women’s soccer teams, three boast a perfect 4.00 GPA. The 10 members in the second team have an average GPA of 3.86, with the members of the first team averaging 3.89.

For more information regarding the Academic All-America® program, visit https://acadmicaallamerica.com/.

Culver-Stockton College forward Montse Caparros and defender Harrison Fey have been named the Primo’s Pizza and Subs Student-Athletes of the Month for November.

Caparros, of Barcelona, Spain (British School of Barcelona), is a three-year letterwinner with the women’s soccer program. She appeared in 46 career games, recording 17 career goals and seven career assists for 41 career points. The 17 goals rank ninth on the school’s all-time list while the 41 career points is 10th all-time. This season, Montse registered a team-tying best 10 goals and added two assists for 22 total points.

Off the field, Montse is a business administration major who was recently named to CoSIDA’s NAIA Academic All-District team. In addition, she has been named to the school’s President’s List three times, the Dean’s List one time and the Honor Roll one time during her tenure on the Hill. In 2019-20, Montse was named a Daktronics-NAIA Scholar-Athlete.

Fey, a senior from Quincy, Ill. (Quincy HS / John Wood CC), is a two-year member on the backline of the Wildcat men’s soccer program after playing his first two seasons at John Wood Community College in Quincy. He appeared in 28 career games for the Wildcats, netting one career goal, which was a game-winner.

Off the field, Harrison is majoring in elementary education and has been named to the President’s List and the Dean’s List in his two completed semesters. He was named a Daktronics-NAIA Scholar-Athlete after the 2020-21 school year.

Caparros and Fey are the third Primo’s Student-Athletes of the Month for the 2021-22 school year, joining Jody Ellis (women’s soccer) and Nolan Dreher (football) who were recognized in September, and Sopheea Vomund and Dax Flowerree, who were named in October.

The Culver-Stockton men’s bowling team narrowly missed qualifying for bracket play and settled for ninth place at the Warhawk Open in Addison, Ill., Sunday afternoon.

The Wildcats, who were ninth with 5,488 total pins after six team games Saturday, recorded 2,956 pins in 16 baker games Sunday to finish with 8,444 total pins for the tournament. C-SC finished 56 pins out of the eighth spot, which would have qualified them for bracket play. St. Ambrose finished first with 8,992 total pins.

Sophomore Joey Novick earned his first collegiate all-tournament team honor with a second place finish overall. Novick recorded 1,246 total pins in six games, an average of 207.7 per game. He rolled games of 200 or more in four of his six games finishing with 213, 231, 231, and 235.

Zachary Lantz finished 49th overall with 1,101 total pins or an average of 183.5. He had games of 205 and 215. Lance Mynatt ended the tournament in 58th place with a total of 1,082 pins. Mynatt rolled a high game of 203 and had an average of 180.3.

The Wildcats are back in action again when they return to the Stardust Bowl in Addison, Jan. 15-16 for the Kegal/ISBPA Midwest Classic.

The Culver-Stockton women’s bowling team finished 16th in the 23-team Warhawk Open at the Stardust Bowl in Addison, Ill, this weekend.

The Wildcats ended the tournament with 7,665 total pins covering its six team games Saturday and 16 baker games Sunday. Mount Mercy finished first with 8,482 total pins.

Led by Jasmine Saunders, C-SC scored 5,093 total pins in six team games Saturday. Saunders rolled all six games and finished with 1,092 total pins, or an 182 pins per game. Her high game was 202 . She placed 21st overall.

Bailey Orsette finished 36th overall with 1,062 pins in six game. She averaged 177 pins per game and rolled a high game of 215. Carlee Hummel was 39th overall after averaging 174.8 pins per game. She finished with 1,049 total pins with games of 202 and 200.

On Sunday, the Wildcats finished with 2,572 total pins in 16 baker games, an average of 160.8 pins per game.

The Wildcats are slated to return to the Stardust Bowl in Addison, Jan. 15-16 for the Kegal/ISBPA Midwest Classic.