The Student News Site of Culver-Stockton College

Wildcat Wire

Wildcat Wire

Wildcat Wire

Penalties a factor in Culver’s 0-3 season start

Quarterback+Brock+Nellor+talking+in+the+huddle.+Photo+courtesy+of+John+Schild.+
Quarterback Brock Nellor talking in the huddle. Photo courtesy of John Schild.

The Wildcats fell five points short of a season-opening win against the Lancers of Mount Marty College in Yankton, South Dakota. They then lost to the Vikings of Missouri Valley. The following week the Wildcats fell short again in their first home game by five points to Central Methodist University.

The rushing game proved to be Culver’s most potent attack in the first game. Averaging roughly 5 yards per attempt, the Wildcats gained 248 rushing yards on 49 attempts. Though Culver’s offense was effective, the Wildcat’s number of penalties was double that of their opponents from Mount Marty. The Wildcats lost 82 yards on 11 penalties whereas the Lancers gave up 55 yards on five penalties.

Photo courtesy of John Schild.

Two unsportsmanlike penalties came from quarterback Brock Nellor in the game against Mount Marty. With 11:38 Nellor rushed for two yards to score a touchdown. During the celebration, he threw the ball way up high causing him to get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. This was his second unsportsmanlike conduct flag as he received one earlier in the 3rd quarter.

Per NAIA rules, Nellor was ejected from the game, and suspended for the game the following week against Missouri Valley. Because of the suspension of Nellor, the Wildcats were forced to put in quarterback Carson Vandello.

The next week Culver-Stockton played their first home game of the season at Ellison-Poulton Stadium. The Wildcats welcomed back their quarterback, Nellor, and started their two-game home stand against the Eagles from Central Methodist University.

Photo courtesy of John Schild.

Yet again, it was more penalties that held back their chances of getting their first win of the season. Just as Culver would create a big play, it would be called back for a penalty. All momentum was lost by a costly flag at the other end of the field. This occurred at multiple points in the game. The Wildcats clawed their way to 11 points in the 4th quarter, but it wasn’t enough.

Nellor declined to comment for this story