“Dear Friends” comes to Culver-Stockton College

November 1-4 in Black Box Theater

Danielle Thurman

Flyer in Johnson Hall showing the dates, times, and admission prices for students and adults that are not part of C-SC’s students, faculty, or staff.

The Culver-Stockton College Theatre Department will be producing the play “Dear Friends” November 1 – 4.

“Dear Friends” is directed by David Lane, Lecturer in Speech/Theater Education in his first year at C-SC.  Lane is assisted by Rebecca Holley, sophomore double major in Psychology and Theatre. The Stage Manager is Kaity Conway, a sophomore double major in English Education and Theatre, with the assistant stage director being Kirsten Lippold, a freshman English Education major.

“My first directing experience has been really good,” said Lane, “I have enjoyed working with the students and also with my colleagues in the department.  This production has been a great collaboration with the students, Seth, and Sparky.  I am fortunate to get to work with such talented individuals.”

The play by Reginald Rose is about a couple going through a divorce. Their friends, wanting to reconcile the divorcing couple, decide to throw a party to get the two people to come. They show up separately, and once the couple discovers what the entire party is about they try to leave. Their dear friends beg them to stay, as they wish to not only talk about the problems that the divorcing couple has but what the three married couples have as well.

Having a lead role is different, but an amazing task to take on.

— actor Remington Jarvis

Through the play, tension rise and tempers flare, and in a way of showing human nature, the facade of friends caring turn into anger with all kindness of the words stripped away, revealing dirty laundry that so many try to hide.

One of the lead roles is Douglas Lambert, played by sophomore Theater major Remington Jarvis. Jarvis’ character’s apartment is the setting of the play.  “Having a lead role is different, but an amazing task to take on” Jarvis says.

From Conway’s point of view, the show is going along smoothly.  “The crew works really well with the cast, and you can really tell from a stage manager’s point of view!” Conway also wants attendees to know that everyone has worked hard and that students can see their hard work when they come to the play.

“It’s been a different experience,” said Holley, “I didn’t really know what I was getting into, but honestly, I have learned so much.”

“Dear Friends” runs Nov. 1 thru Nov. 4,  at 7:30 p.m. during the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday productions, and a matinee performance Sunday at 3 p.m. All performances are available for an ACE credit, and are free to C-SC students and staff.

The Culver-Stockton College Fine Arts division has plenty to see and do for the rest of this semester.  A choir concert featuring the Chamber Ensembles and Acapella group performs on Thursday, Nov. 8 at 7:30 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center ‘s Alexander Campbell Auditorium.  On Nov. 11, the Wind Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, and Symphonic Band will be hosting a concert starting at 3 p.m., also in the Alexander Campbell Auditorium. On Tuesday, Dec. 11, there will be a Christmas concert at 7 p.m. in the Alexander Campbell Auditorium, with a Camerata 808 concert on Thursday, Dec. 13 starting at 8:08 in the Merillat Chapel and Recital Hall to end out this semester.