Culver-Stockton Ghosts

Henderson+Hall+

Quentin Wells

Henderson Hall

The college of Culver-Stockton has been established for more than a century. Having been around so long, such a place tends to collect a variety of history and stories. From the civil war, rebuilding after tornadoes, and many more. So many natural events have left a mark on this campus, but so have the supernatural.

For those interested in things that go bump in the night, many will say that several buildings are plagued by those who have passed on. From the Greek houses to the building of Herrick. Not all of these spirits have names yet a few do, starting with the young boy who goes by the name of Peter who resides in Turley Hall. The girls of Turley Hall have passed on the tale of Peter for generations. From the shaking of doors, the faint laughter of a child in the hall during the dead of night, lights flicking on, and the favorite red ball he will roll back if tossed into the shadows of the basement.

Peter is one of the few spirits with a known backstory. Rumored to have been a little boy buried during the construction of the building after a fatal fall. Yet, Peter is not the only child’s spirit as Ethel resides in the hall of Clough with her companion Helen. The two have been said to cause mischief in the shape of tugging on clothes, cracking mirrors, and shorting the electrical system. The two spirits have been around since Sigma Kappa was established on campus.

Another notable ghost can be found in the PAC ghost whom students call Bowler Hat guy. Most often he is noted to haunt the men’s dressing room on the lower floor. While he does not do much physically, he has been noted to cause anger and unease in visitors. If one goes when the lights are low, and the night has come and find themselves all alone they may catch a glimpse of his shadow traveling through the costume shop.

Now, before moving up the hill, the bottom stacks of Johann have been known to be a favorite haunt of many spirits. Books will fall off shelves, belongings have gone missing, and even paranormal investigators find it to be a tour favorite. Same with the pool of Herrick where many have witnessed bottles or utensils fly off the tables.

In Zenge hall is said to haunt the halls, trying to open locked doors and throwing glass off of the drawers of the men who live there. The rumor being the spirit of that of a Confederate soldier. Across the pond in Helsabeck hall, a sister of a past brother teases the brothers by opening and closing the doors at very unwanted times. Then the hall of Gerlach has a ghost, that while no one has a name or backstory, merely visits the men with benevolent intent.

Along with ghosts, Culver and its students have superstitions. Superstitions such not stepping on the seal or they will not graduate in four years. Another being not to stop at the stoplight on 25th and Broadway, to avoid it at all costs or a few things may happen. The first hitting the next six stoplights, the car breaking down, or ending up in the hospital.

With this Halloween, maybe take that adventure to hunt some ghosts and do something to get scared out of your skin.