Chi Omega hosts annual Wish Week

Philanthropy Project an Annual Event

Culver-Stockton College’s Chi Omega sorority hosted its annual Wish Week, Oct. 7 through the 11. 

During this week Chi Omega hosts various on- and off-campus events to raise money for Make-A-Wish Foundation. This year over $1,000 was collected and donated to Make-A-Wish. The Make-A-Wish Foundation – a nonprofit organization that helps grant wishes to children who have critical illnesses – is one of Chi Omega’s philanthropy projects.

Taryn Brown, a sophomore Psychology major with an emphasis in Pre-Occupational Therapy, and who is the current Philanthropy chair for Chi Omega mentioned  this program is well-supported. “Make-A-Wish is important to the members of Chi Omega because it is our sorority’s philanthropy and several of our members have been directly effected by Make-A-Wish, such as Erin Karg whose brother is on the list to get a Wish granted currently.”

On Monday night, anyone who went to Los Nopales restaurant in downtown Canton from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. helped Chi Omega raise money. During that time the proceeds the restaurant was donated. 

Abigail Heinecke

Chi Omega sold wish stars outside the Dining Hall on Tuesday during lunch. Students, faculty, or staff could purchase a star for one dollar and write their name on it. The stars were displayed on the wall outside the Dining Hall for the remainder of the week.

Wednesday morning, they sold Dunkin’ Donuts and coffee outside Herrick and Johann. One of Canton’s new restaurants, Big O’s Eat and Treats, also helped support Chi Omega’s Wish Week. During this night, the restaurant donated part of their proceeds.

Abigail Heinecke

Friday during lunch Chi Omega held an ACE event in Herrick. At this event students got to come and learn more about what the Make-A-Wish program is and how they help children. A representative from the Make-A-Wish local region Skyped in with a presentation and answered questions students had during the event. They also sold Jimmy Johns sandwiches during that time.

…we got to see first hand what all of our hard work was going to and the giant impact we were making on a child in need.

— Taryn Brown, Chi Omega Philanthropy Chair

The week featured many different events, Taryn had one specific event that stood out to her, “My favorite part of the week was the ACE event on Friday because we got to see first hand what all of our hard work was going to and the giant impact we were making on a child in need.” All the profits made from each event went directly to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.