Wildcat Wire

• March 24The Relay For Life event, which was scheduled for this Friday, has been postponed until the Fall 2019.

Wear Your Suit and Tie

Culver-Stockton College's Wind Ensemble and Jazz Ensemble perform October 13th.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wear Your Suit and Tie

Rehearsing for the concert

Rehearsing for the concert

Danielle Thurman

Rehearsing for the concert

Danielle Thurman

Danielle Thurman

Rehearsing for the concert

Danielle Thurman, Features Editor

Culver-Stockton College’s Wind Ensemble and Jazz Ensemble will be performing Saturday, Oct. 13 at 7:30 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center’s Alexander Campbell Auditorium. The Wind Ensemble, conducted by Dr. Trent Hollinger, Associate Professor of Music and Director of Bands, with guest performer and Adjunct Instructor of Flute Rose Bishop. The Jazz Ensemble will be directed by Dr. Aren Van Houzen, Adjunct Instructor of Trumpet.

Wind Ensemble will open the show with Illryian Dances, followed by On Wings of Song, in which will feature Bishop, and ending the opening part of the show with Chester. The Jazz Ensemble, with their portion being called “Suit and Tie” will be performing songs that deal with different articles of clothing. This includes: Fancy Pants, Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, My Little Suede Shoes, and Patent Leather Shoes.

I think that this piece really showcases piccolo in a different way than people are used to hearing”

— flute instructor Rose Bishop

Bishop received her Bachelor of Music degree from Georgia State University, and received her Master of Music degree from the University of Iowa. While Bishop is one of the Adjunct professors at C-SC, she is also the Adjunct Professor of Flute at: Cornell College, Kirkwood College, and Mount Mercy University in Iowa. She also serves as the Principle Flute in the Southeast Iowa Symphony Orchestra, Second Flute and Piccolo in the Ottumwa Symphony, Second Flute with the Quincy Symphony, and Piccolo in the Oneota Valley Orchestra.

Bishop is excited to perform with the Wind Ensemble. “It feels pretty good. I’m excited.”

Piccolo is known to tend to have more of a vigorous sound, many pieces of work tend to have the instrument do runs with either eighth, 16th, or 32nd notes. On Wings of Song. While it does feature some technicality, it features many lovely moments that are more lyrical coming from the piccolo.

“I think that this piece really showcases piccolo in a different way than people are used to hearing,” commented Bishop. “When they think piccolo they think high, fast, loud, and this is very different than that. It shows the absolutely gorgeous side of the piccolo in the low registers and the middle registers.”

Dr. Hollinger believes that the audience will be surprised at Bishop’s playing.

“It does show a lot more of the lyrical and melodious side of the piccolo that piccolo is not often given the ability to do,” said Dr. Hollinger. “There are still some virtuostic playing and there are some pretty fast runs and some pretty exciting playing. At the same time it is always kind of really song-like, very melody based, really accessible.”

The performance in the Jazz portion features a new student to Culver-Stockton College, Barclay Raith will be the student feature in Goodbye Pork Pie Hat.

Culver-Stockton College Bands will also have a concert on Sunday, Nov. 11, 2018. This concert will take place in the Performing Arts Center’s Alexander Campbell Auditorium, from 3-5 p.m. and features the Jazz Ensemble, Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band. On Tuesday, Dec. 11, 2018, the Christmas Concert will be in Performing Art Center’s Alexander Campbell Auditorium from 7-9 p.m. and a Camerata 808 concert on Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 8:08 in the Performing Art Center’s Merillat Recital Hall. These all count as ACE credits.

About the Contributor
Danielle Thurman, Features Editor

Danielle Thurman is a sophomore from Bonne Terre, MO. She is a Communications major and she hopes to broadcast music on the radio or broadcast Cardinal...