Walk to End brought to campus

FILE PHOTO: provided by Sigma Kappa Beta Mu Facebook page of the 2019 Walk in Quincy.

This weekend, the Walk to End Alzheimer’s comes to the Culver-Stockton College campus as the Beta Mu chapter of Sigma Kappa hosts a campus-wide walk open to students, faculty, and staff. The event takes place starting Sept. 12 at 10 a.m. and lasts until noon. Normally, the Beta Mu chapter takes their walk to Quincy, Ill., but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it was decided for the safety of the students to move it to campus. There will also be sidewalk chalk in case those participating would rather draw. There will also be hashtags for those who are participating: #Walk2EndAlz, #SigmaKappaCSC, and #betamuWalk2End

In case of inclement weather, the new date for the walk will be sometime in October, according to sophomore music technology major Jay Rousselo, who is a part of the sorority’s philanthropy committee.

“It is very important for people on campus to know about Walk to End because this isn’t something that just affects Sigma Kappa,” said Rousselo.  “It is something that affects everyone, regardless of their affiliation to Greek life.”

Since 1983, Sigma Kappa’s have been doing the Walk to End, and since 1984 has been partnered with the Alzheimer’s Association, and over the last thirty years has raised more than $9 million. In 2014, the sorority pledged $1 million to the Women’s Alzheimer’s Research Initiative as the first philanthropic investor, and managed to hit that pledge in just under two years.