SGA Hosts Spring Town Hall

SGA+President+Cheyenne+Grissom+asks+questions+to+panel+during+the+SGA+Town+Hall+on+Monday+evening.+

Ryan Gibson

SGA President Cheyenne Grissom asks questions to panel during the SGA Town Hall on Monday evening.

On Monday evening, the Culver-Stockton College Student Government Association hosted a Town Hall in Merilat Chapel. The event was socially distanced and available virtually via Zoom. The panel consisted of President Dr. Doug Palmer, Dean of Students Dr. Chris Gill, Director of Facilities Mike Bringer, Vice President of Academic Affairs/Dean Dr. Lauren Schellenberger, Head Men’s Volleyball Coach Caren Kemner representing athletics, Director of IT Joe Liesen, and lastly SGA president Cheyenne Grissom.

The first question of the evening revolved around the well-being of students. The question asked how the college is considering the well-being of students with the absence of spring break and little breaks from courses. Dr. Chris Gill stated that “the College has always been concerned with the wellness of students.” He suggested for students needing a break from their regular routine of classes and homework to attend events sponsored by Campus Programming Council. He also cited how students are more free to see their friends on campus based on the recent transition into phase two. It was also mentioned how the College offers Telehealth services for mental health for those students who may need that service.

Graduation plans were also released earlier in the afternoon prior to the Town Hall.  VPAA Dr. Schellenberger mentioned throughout the whole planning process the College was very committed to having live ceremonies.

…the College has always been concerned with the wellness of students.

— Dean of Students Dr. Chris Gill

Another question during the session referred to what resources will be in the new IDEA Center. President Palmer said, “It’s not so much of what’s going into it, but the experiences you’ll be able to get out of it.” Following that he mentioned how that building will be designed for students to solve real world issues with community partners. He also mentioned, “This is also not coming out of your (the students) tuition dollars” citing how the project was all paid for from donations from capital campaigns. Palmer also went on to say how the project should be ready for students to use and finished by, if not during the fall semester.

Updating facilities was a topic that brought many questions. One question concerned updating the turf at Ellison Poulton Stadium were progressing. Palmer went on to say that they are currently fielding bids, with the goal being to redo the turf over the summer. Director of Facilities Bringer mentioned that Weldon Residence Hall will be getting attention over the summer with painting the common areas, with goals in the future to renovate the residence hall.

Earlier this month President Palmer hosted his first Virtual Alumni Town Hall. This Town Hall gave an update on the college and time for alumni to get to know the new President as well as ask questions or state any concerns. The event was hosted on March 2 via Zoom.