Why We Have Gone Digital

WildcatWire

provided

website

Welcome to the first “edition” of the Wildcat Wire student media portal.  Why did we develop this site?  Let me explain…

The world of journalism has rapidly embraced multi-platform reporting and delivery.  Many of you might visit a newspaper, tv or radio website before you actually (if ever) visit the legacy media site.  This “convergence” of legacy media onto new media isn’t new.  Some of you watch movies on tv, listen to radio on apps, read books on a tablet, etc.

For us at Culver-Stockton College, this is the result of discussions about moving our student media – the Megaphone, KATZ5, and KCSW radio to a student news portal.  By tearing down the silos of radio, tv, and print, we are able to give students who seek careers in the mass media a skill-set that could produce jobs opportunities. You will see more and more content uploaded to this site as the semester goes on.

What happens to the Megaphone?  Since 1919, C-SC has published a newspaper, and will continue to do so as Homecoming and graduation editions.  But, we couldn’t stand by and let the field of journalism pass us by. 

By tearing down the silos of radio, tv, and print, we are able to give students who seek careers in the mass media a skill-set that could produce jobs opportunities.

— Prof. Fred Berger

Keep watching – big things are ahead!

Prof. Fred Berger