Lambda Chi Alpha and Chi Omega Organize Blood Drive

Red Cross collected 40 pints of blood in Meaders Lounge last Wednesday.

Sebastiao Dutschke

A student saves lives by giving blood

Wednesday Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity and Chi Omega sorority teamed up to organize a blood drive to help the Red Cross fight a critical need.

Members of Chi Omega worked directly with the Red Cross to set up a date to make it possible.   The Lambdas helped on the day of the drive by signing people in, cleaning and setting up,  A key person during this process was junior Athletic Training Rehab Sciences major Maryanna Catrine, who established contact with the Red Cross. Catrine, also minoring in Chemistry, recently did an internship with the Red Cross which allowed her to make this blood drive possible.

In order to be able to give blood, students had to meet some criteria such as body weight, travel restrictions to certain countries, medications and activities after the donation. Each person’s blood could save three lives.

Alissa Murphy, MultiCultural Development Coordinator, was one who donated and encouraged everyone to do the same. “It’s a small thing I can do as a healthy person to help other people.”  Recent winter weather demonstrated this type of philanthropy helps not only the community but the country as well, as Culver-Stockton College was the shelter that made this blood drive happen.   Cooper Hudnut, a sophomore Psychology / Pre-Occupational Therapy major and member of Lambda Chi Alpha said that “The Polar Vortex closed 100 blood drives across the area.”

The Polar Vortex closed 100 Blood Drives across the area

— sophomore Cooper Hudnut

The Red Cross held simultaneous blood drives at Culver-Stockton College and Quincy University.  One of the doctors at C-SC said that it was his second time collecting blood on campus, but definitely looking forward for more.