Helsabeck Prize for Teaching Excellence Nominations Sought

Nominees accepted through February 28

campus+entrance

Courtesy Culver-Stockton College

campus entrance

Culver-Stockton College is seeking nominations for the Helsabeck Prize for Excellence in Teaching.

According to the news release, the Helsabeck Prize was established in 1980 and is a cash prize of $1,000.  The prize will be awarded at Honors Day, May 12.

Student help is needed to identify a current faculty member who exhibits those qualities that mark the truly outstanding teacher.   Awards for excellent teaching speak to the very heart of the college’s work.

While definitions of excellent teaching will vary, frequently identifying qualities include the following: knowledge and proficiency in the subject area; creative approaches to the subject matter; ability to nurture interest, enthusiasm and responses in students; clarity of educational objectives and course expectations; maintenance of high expectations and standards; openness to other points of view; fairness; and effective timely feedback to students. The winner will be chosen by a panel of faculty, students and administrators.

Awards for excellent teaching speak to the very heart of the college’s work.”

— College announcement

Students are invited to submit a nomination and the reasons the nominee deserves the award to Dr. Lauren Schellenberger, Dean of the College, Henderson Hall ( academicdean@culver.edu ). Nominations will be accepted through Friday, February 28, 2020.