Wildcat Wire, Megaphone Win Top Awards at Missouri College Media Association Awards

Winners Announced Tuesday

WildcatWire

provided

website

Culver-Stockton College’s Wildcat Wire and The Megaphone both took home top honors at the recent Missouri College Media Association (MCMA) awards announcement.  Wildcat Wire won “Best Website” among similar-sized institutions, and The Megaphone won first place in “Special Section or Supplement” with its “The Megaphone:  Looking Back on 100 Years” edition.

I’m so honored and proud of our staff.  We’ve worked hard to start with no knowledge of an online format and our hard work has really paid off.

— Senior Editor Vanessa Bolen

The awards honor editors Hailey Frutiger (soph. Media Communications), Vanessa Bolen (senior, Psychology / Theatre), Danielle Thurman (junior Media Communication) and Megan Ferry (senior Graphic Design).  Graduating senior Bolen spoke of the teamwork needed to achieve the awards:  “I’m so honored and proud of our staff.  We’ve worked hard to start with no knowledge of an online format and our hard work has really paid off.”

Also honored at the annual ceremony, which was held and announced Tuesday evening online due to the stay-at-home orders, were:

•   Second Place in the Video category:  Caelan McGee “Cats on the Hill.”
  •   Honorable Mention in Video:  Vanessa Bolen “Artist Spotlight – Jordan Graves”
  •   Honorable Mention in Sports Writing: Hailey Frutiger “Women’s Soccer ‘Heading’ into Season with a Win”
  •   Honorable Mention in Feature Photography: Vanessa Bolen “Cast of ‘A Bright Room Called Day'”

Frutiger, who has worked with online news sites since high school, expressed gratitude for the awards.  “I’m thankful for this honor and such a great staff.”

"100 Years" Cover
staff
“100 Years” Cover

The Wildcat Wire debuted in the fall of 2018 as a digital online student news outlet alongside The Megaphone printed newspaperThe latter has published print editions on The Hill for over 100 years.  Currently, the staff produces two editions of The Megaphone each academic year.

Prior to The Megaphone another newspaper was printed.   The earliest archived newspaper is from October 1876 when The Christian University Record was published by Christian University, the current institution’s name at the time.   The Record was sustained for nearly three years.

The first edition of The Megaphone in the archives dates October 28, 1919.

Digital editions of previous Megaphone and Record papers are archived by the Carl Johann Memorial Library and can be viewed here.