BSU Celebrating Black History Month with Spirit Week

Image+from+General+Campus+Announcements+

Image from General Campus Announcements

It’s Black History Month and in an effort to celebrate, the Black Student Union (BSU) is hosting a spirit week Feb. 14-19. The main goal of this event is to celebrate black culture in an exciting way that can reach everyone. 

Black History Month was first celebrated in the United States in 1970, however, each year this occasion becomes more known. “I feel like people want to be more educated since Black History Month has become more widely celebrated,” junior and active BSU member Janai Butler said.

For spirit week, each theme celebrates not only black culture but also allows others from different backgrounds to join in and represent where they’re from. In fact, the Feb. 14 event is “Rep your Roots”, which asks each student to represent where they came from through the way they dress. 

On Tuesday, Feb. 15 the BSU invites everyone to “Study Jam” in the LAB at 7 p.m for a study session. Wednesday is “Durags and Bonnets” and Thursday is “Throwback” or dress as your favorite decade. Friday is “Dress Fly” where students wear their “flyest fit” and during lunch and dinner can stop by student life for a quick movie. 

To wrap up spirit week, the BSU is hosting a blackout for the basketball games on Feb. 19. The women play at 2:00 p.m. and the men’s game will follow at 4:00 p.m. both in the Field House.

We are celebrating our culture.

— Janai Butler

Spirit week is a week of celebration and cultural representation. Butler said, “We are celebrating our culture. Some people put stereotypes on black culture but the more people who participate in BSU meetings and events, the more we can educate and disprove negative stereotypes.”

To continue the celebration, the BSU is hosting “Uncomfortable Conversations” on Feb. 24 at 7:00 p.m. This will be a panel discussion with students Jaylin Ellis, Jordan Billingsley, Janai Butler, Emma Hackett, and Ahmed Barrow. There will also be a number of professors adding to the conversation across multiple departments. The BSU is working to make this event an ACE (Artistic and Cultural Event) credit.

The BSU meets in the LAB every Thursday at 7:00 p.m. and is open for everyone to attend.