Shotgun Sports Are Coming to C-SC Athletics

Pat+Atwell

file photo

Pat Atwell

Culver-Stockton College Athletics is pleased to announce that Shotgun Sports will be added to the schools athletic department in the fall of 2022. The Athletic Program discussed numerous reasons to in order get the approval to add competitive Shotgun sports, but was ultimately decided based off geographical location.

There are multiple teams within the Heart of America conference that have Competitive Shotgun Sports. C-SC Athletic Director Pat Atwell explains how this addition made sense to him, especially considering that there are also many area high schools who also have Shotgun Sports apart of their athletics. He goes on to saying “It only made sense to add shotgun sports to our lineup.”

In a press release from C-SC, President Douglas B. Palmer gave his take on the opportunity to expand Culver-Stockton College athletics, acknowledging that shotgun sports are a great opportunity for not only current students but also potential future Wildcats. President Palmer states “Many local students have participated in 4-H and FFA and engaged in shotgun sports. Adding this new sport to Wildcat athletics provides these students an opportunity to continue competitive shooting in college, ” Palmer said. “With the addition of some of our new majors, we were intentional to also add an athletic opportunity that provides students a home to thrive in a competitive environment that they enjoy, while preparing them for their professional careers.”

C-SC Athletics is still in the process of hiring a head coach for this newly added sport. Atwell talks about a bit about the hiring process explaining the importance of getting the word out within the local community considering it’s a part time job. “Getting the word out in the 4H and FFA world is a big deal as well as letting the people at the Quincy Gun Club know that we are looking.”

Culver-Stockton College has reached out to the Quincy Gun Club who has agreed to allow C-SC to designate their facilities as Culver-Stockton Colleges Shotgun team as their home location.