Securing The Interview in 2022

Finding a job in today’s world can be extremely difficult, especially with obstacles such as pandemics in one’s way. More often than not, once students graduate with their desired degree, they struggle with finding a job they believe suits them and securing an interview with the employers of said job. After an Academic Culture Event or ACE event, a light was shed on how to overcome many of the obstacles plaguing students while job hunting. This event featured advice from Culver-Stockton alumni, Jennifer Mejias (People Partner at Affinitiv Inc.), Maggie Lipscomb (US Benefits & Retirement Lead at Bayer), and Don Pippin (Career Strategist at area |Talent).

To kick the event off, Mejias and Lipscomb began by explaining to the students the importance of upholding the code of ethics of wherever one may seek employment, the reason being when employers interview candidates for positions they use this as one of their first means of weeding out their candidates. Explaining how staying true to one’s self is important, however, they stated it is also equally important to apply to positions where all the qualifications are not met. To further the points made about qualifications, Mejias even mentioned how her current job, and her major while at Culver, seemed to have very little to do with each other but by taking a chance and using her experience, she was able to prove herself.

Some great ways to secure interviews is networking, good resumes, being professional, and doing your research to create those personal connections.

— Don Pippin

Following them was Don Pippin, who shined a different light on the subject. Pippin’s focus throughout the event was to show Culver’s students the importance of networking and reaching out to make connections with employers. Pippin reiterated his point when asked about better ways of securing jobs. He stated, “Some great ways to secure interviews is networking, good resumes, being professional, and doing your research to create those personal connections.” Furthermore, Pippin also made a staple to talk about interviewing during Covid, the highlight being to maintain one’s professionalism, he said this is because if you treat it as such even when interacting through screens you will trick your mind into following the same professional tone, and finally closed out with a Q&A for the audience.

Mejias,  Lipscomb, and Pippin were all brought together by Robin Jarvis, (Director of Career and Internship Services), and ran the event. If you missed this particular ACE event, then fear not, you can still gain access and view it by contacting Jarvis.