The Student News Site of Culver-Stockton College

Wildcat Wire

Wildcat Wire

Wildcat Wire

To Rush or Not to Rush? A Look Into Greek Life

Potential new members on Night 3 of Recruitment

To Rush or not to rush? That was the question on most students’ minds earlier this year. Greek life is a vital part of almost every college campus. From the infamous Alabama rush to our Bid Day on The Hill, Greek life is ingrained in campuses everywhere. Many people attend rush hoping to find their home away from home. But what is life within a sorority truly like? Why do people rush? Why don’t they? 

Jillian Vervynck, a sophomore in Sigma Sigma Sigma (Tri-Sigma), rushed during the fall of her freshman year. A proud supporter of her sorority, she is often seen sporting her letters and will proudly talk about her experience with Greek life. 

“I rushed because my roommate pushed me to go through recruitment,” Vervynck explained. She wasn’t even planning on joining a sorority until after the first night when she first met with her Tri-Sigma sisters. She explains that they felt like her home away from home. She shows no regret in her decision to join this sisterhood.

Furthermore, she shares that her sorority has pushed her to become more involved in events. “My sorority is very involved and does a lot of things on campus,” Vervynck wasn’t able to share whether or not she feels more included with Greek life than without because she has spent almost all of her college career in a house. 

This sister has nothing bad to say about her sorority going as far as to say that “the fraternities have bad blood, but the sororities barely do,” and if they do, they solve it quickly and everyone goes back to being friends. She made it clear that even though sororities aren’t perfect, at the end of the day, she’s happy to have her sisters.

One senior on campus wanted to share her experience in a sorority and the factors that led to her leaving the sorority. This source, who requested anonymity, went through recruitment during her freshman year of college and continued to serve in her sorority until her junior year. This school year is her first year not being a part of Greek life.

When she first rushed, she did it because “everyone told her that she should.” She also explained that rush was different her freshman year, due to COVID-19, so she didn’t get the full experience. 

Being in a sorority is a major commitment.

— Senior

“I had a different rush,” she explains. “It was completely on Zoom, which I feel like better suited me than in person.” While her rush was less stressful than normal, she shares that her experience in her sorority was anything but. 

“Being in a sorority is a major commitment. You are expected to do all these things and aren’t allowed to step out of line or it’s not good.” She remained rather tight-lipped, however, this source shows no regret in leaving her sorority “I’m having a much better time. I questioned why I was even in it. The first years were fun, but then.” She trailed off and shook her head. When asked why she left she shared that a “couple of bad apples” ruined the experience and she didn’t feel she was “getting much out of it” anymore. Overall, she shares that she has had more free time since leaving the sorority and is viewed more as herself and less as a stereotype. 

When asked if she felt like the campus focused on Greek life, she said that “[her] first three years it definitely did, but it feels like it shifted,” however, this could be due to the fact that she is no longer involved in Greek life.

Renae Martin is a senior at Culver-Stockton this year. She transferred to The Hill before her junior year and has never gone through recruitment. In fact, the thought of rushing never even crossed her mind. 

“As a transfer, I had to take six classes a semester,” Martin explains, “I also had cheer. I didn’t even have time to have a job.” She continues to explain that while Greek life seems fun, she feels too anti-social to join. 

Despite not being in a sorority, Martin doesn’t feel excluded from campus activities. “I find my own ways to be a part of things,” she explains, “I would love to go to a semi-formal, but I did that in high school.” 

While she is curious about the workings of Bid Day and Greek Week, she explains that those are the only times she sees a prominent Greek presence on campus. She shares that she has found her own community on campus through cheerleading and classes.