Hoffman Awarded MAATA Athletic Trainer of the Year

Jessica Dwyer

Athletic Training Classroom located in the Science Center.

Recently, associate professor of Athletic Training and Health Science, Dr. Jay Hoffman was tabbed as the Mid-America Athletic Trainers Association (MAATA) Athletic Trainer Educator of the year.

“I’m blessed to have wonderful colleagues who nominated me, and am humbled that my AT peers saw it fit to bestow me with the recognition.”

— Dr. Jay Hoffman

“Athletic Training and education are service professions, so you don’t expect recognition for what you value. Therefore, it’s an honor to even think that what you do matters to others,” said Hoffman.

This award recognizes excellence in athletic training education, continuing education for members in the MAATA, as well as for students in the classroom.

Hoffman’s advice for those in the athletic training field is, “Have a servant’s heart. If you continue to strive to help others achieve their goals and their health, you’ll continue to find a sense of fulfillment. Even when the ‘storms’ are tough, if you keep your nose pointed north, you’ll find your way. Stay true to your passion and ethical compass!”

“Dr. Hoffman has impacted my education in the athletic training field by keeping me informed and knowledgeable about the Master of Athletic Training Program here. Since I was a junior in high school, I have been in communication with him about the programs at Culver and kept up to date about the the requirement to enroll in the masters program,” said Jessica Dwyer, a sophomore Health Science major.

The Masters of Athletic training program outlines five learning goals for students in the program and they are patient/client-centered care, interdisciplinary education & practice, evidence-based practice, information-driven decisions & health care informatics, and quality improvement.