Travel Study Planning Continues Despite COVID-19

Two International Trips Planned for Spring 2022

Culver-Stockton+College

file photo

Culver-Stockton College

As the world continues to deal with a global pandemic, Culver-Stockton College students and faculty are slowly planning their next experiential travel.

According to Coordinator of Experiential Education at C-SC Dr. Melissa Holt, the College is doing everything it can to return to international travel. “We are in regular contact with travel providers and travel experts around the world to gauge current status and feasibility,” says Holt. She reports that two international trips and a few domestic trips are currently being planned for Spring 2022.  The course schedule for the Spring 2022 three-week term shows international trips to Italy and Iceland, along with domestic trips to Chicago, South Dakota, Washington DC  and Kansas City.

Myself and the faculty are doing their absolute best to try to make travel happen in a responsible way.

— Dr. Melissa Holt, Coordinator of Experiential Education

COVID-19 vaccines and proof of a negative test are required for US citizens to pass through customs. Additional travel restrictions are often applied by the countries themselves such as a two-week  quarantine period upon arrival, which would not be feasible for C-SC travel study.

Holt understands student frustration about not being able to use travel funds provided by the College. “It is often what attracts students to attend C-SC,” she says.  “We have done our best to provide domestic travel opportunities to at least offer something when international travel wasn’t feasible.”

Dr. Holt reminds students that international travel is just one aspect of experiential learning on the Hill.  “We have successfully maintained a robust offering of other experiential offerings in Domestic Travel, Service Learning, Professional Experience, Leadership, Creative Expression, Simulation, and Research.”

“Myself and the faculty are doing their absolute best to try to make travel happen in a responsible way,” Holt concludes.  “However, C-SC doesn’t have control over a global pandemic.”